Procedures to follow when one dies
(a) What to do when policy holder dies
- 1. When one dies the claimant should contact the funeral assurance company for the claim of the deceased to be processed.
- 2. The funeral company will send a hearse for removal of the body to the mortuary where applicable. In cases where the deceased is in remote area, the funeral company will send a coffin and prepare the body for burial.
- 3. The claimant should produce the following documents to the assurance company when making a claim:
- ID of policy holder
- Policy Contract
- Proof of death – One of the following documents can be produced as proof of death: (Burial order, bd11 form, Death certificate, An affidavit, Confirmation letter from the village headman or chief)
(b) What to do when dependant dies
- 1. The same procedure of processing the claim for policy holder will apply when the dependent dies.
- 2. What is critical is the identification of the policy holder, the claimant should have a policy number or the details of the policy holder for the assurance company to verify the validity of the claim.
- 3. The National id or birth certificate of the deceased dependent is required by the assurance company for verification.
- 4. Proof of death – One of the following documents can be produced as proof of death:
- Burial order
- bd11 form
- Death certificate
- An affidavit
- Confirmation letter from the village headman or chief
(c) What to do when death occurs in remote areas
- 1. When Death occurs in the remote area, the claimant should report the death to the nearest Police station or Village headman to certify the death.
- 2. The claimant will be given an affidavit form from the police or a letter from village headman to process his claim.
- 3. After the claim is lodged with the funeral company, a hearse and coffin is sent to the remote area to prepare the body for burial or remove the body of the deceased to the mortuary where applicable.
(d) What to do when death occurs in towns and cities
- 1. Place of death will determine the process to be followed.
- 2. If Death occurs at home ,the claimant should notify the nearest police station , The police will assist with processing of documents required for burial. When the police have identified the body of the deceased the claimant can contact the Funeral assurance company for removal of the body to the mortuary or the hospital for postmortem depending with the circumstance. After the proof of death documents are processed the claimant should take the documents to the Assurer to process his claim.
- 3. If death occurs at the hospital, the claimant death will be given a bd11 form which is the notice of death which is used to process the burial order through the police post at the hospital. After that, the claimant should contact the assurer for removal of the body to the private mortuary and processing of the claim.
Procedure when one dies At Home or hospital with or without a funeral Policy
(a) Who to inform first i.e. the police or the funeral provider
- There are two scenarios, either death will occur at home or hospital, i.e. road accident
- 1. When death occurs at home
- The police are informed first to find the cause of death and facilitate the process of obtaining required documents for burial.
- 2. When death occurs at Hospital
- Burial order is obtained at the hospital through the hospital police post where the facilitate process of obtaining the burial order.
(b) Rights of the bereaved to choose a service of their choice.
- The bereaved have a right to select a service provider of their choice even after the body has been taken to another funeral service provider. However they should be made aware of the contract provision of their funeral policy when making that choice.
(c) Role of the police under the circumstances.
- 1. The role of the police is to confirm the death and clearance of the body to be removed.
- 2. The policy also facilitates the process of obtaining documents for burial.
(d) Documentation required.
- National id for the deceased.
- Hospital cards
- In case where hospital cards are not immediately available, postmortem will be done to ascertain the cause of death.